Sunday, March 26, 2017

20 MILES!!!! YAHOO!!! TIME.TO.TAPER!!!

BIG NEWS!  I.RAN.20.MILES!!! 20.MILES!!  YAHOO!!! I can now start tapering, to make that FINAL push to be a marathoner!  I know that this wasn't originally in my plan, but I decided that I wanted some extra taper time, so I figured that if I can do 18 miles (as originally planned), I can push just a bit harder to do 20.  I now can do the taper runs over the next two weeks or so, and really give myself about another good week or two of rest/no running. I think this was a smart move on my end, as the extra time off will allow for me to push through those 26.2 miles on April 22.

I know you want the details, so here is the run down.  As a whole, this run was easier in spots, and way harder in others. Miles 10, 15, and 18 deserve an extra special finger from me.

So anyways, my 20 miler started out pretty much normal. I woke up about 2-3 hours before I planned to run, had my bowl of cereal, along with my cup of coffee.  However, the one concerning point was that my back was being a bit pesky with some muscle soreness.  Knowing that I was going to be attempting to run this distance, I went ahead and took some Aleve and rubbed on some arnica gel.  I decided to try out a new running tank top, along with a pair of shorts knowing that the weather was going to be a bit warmer today...good practice for if I end up running a warmer marathon.  I packed up all of my fuel, plus a few extra things (my ipod, some extra vaseline, and some some chapstick) into my flip belt, and then made my way to what is the starting line of the race.  I knew I had a BIG job ahead of me, and I totally had the thought of "OMG...I have to start here, and end THERE."  However, I knew that to get THERE (mile 20), I had to start by putting one foot in front of the other.  So, I just took a breath, and decided to go from there.

I started off the run what felt to be really slow, yet comfortable pace for me.  This went pretty well, and I took some walk breaks while crossing streets (with my watch still running), until I hit somewhere around mile 5.  For some reason, I started feeling kinda bloated and gassy, but in terms of that I really needed a burp, but it wouldn't quite happen.  I have no idea what caused this, but it was rather uncomfortable.  I'm thinking that I may have needed some actual water at that particular point, but that still has me baffled...maybe it was my GU gel or hydration mix....I don't know.  However, I am thinking...just to be ont he safe side...take something like Gas X for race day.  Eventually, the gass did go away somewhere around mile 6 or 7, thank goodness.

Also, at this point on the course, miles 5-7 are always tough on me.  I think it's the boring scenry, and I always hate that incline that happens just before mile 6, and there's another one or two around the water station.  I know that on race day, these miles will go on way faster with haveing a bunch of runners with me, but in training, it has always been mentally challenging for me.

Once I hit mile 8, the next two miles are on a path around a local park.. I know the paths VERY well, from running on them with our local running club for our "fun run" that happens each week now that the weather is warming up some, and the days are getting longer.  However, I was also realizing that I soon would be needing more water in my bottle, so I goto check the water fountain to see if it has been turned on yet....it has not...grrrr. At this point, I figured I would still be okay until I got back onto campus (mile 12 area), so I could refill then. So, off I went to continue on with my run around the park.

I get about 3/4 around the park, and for some dumb reason, I decided to try another water fountain. Nope. I don't know why I may have thought that one would have been turned on when the other one wasn't.  Oh well....back to the running.  I finish mile 9, then continue to onto mile 10.

Mile 10....this one was hard as it's just long mile.   For whatever reason, this mile always feels extra long with no end in sight, and it often feels kinda deserted...you might see a few people here and there, but that's about it.  Plus,there's one point, just over a small incline where you think you're at the end, but nope....you have an intersection plus another few blocks, just mess with your head. Around this point, I started sorta bargaining with myself....."Come on. Halfway! Keep it up!  Just two 5 milers left! Go slow these 5 miles, then faster for the last 5! Okay...you can grab water on campus, and continue to take your breaks, but let's try to go faster towards the end!" Ha. Yeah. Right. My legs weren't having it right then.  My legs were telling my brain, "Uh no..maybe faster the last mile or so, but no. We're going our speed. Take it or leave it." I finally get to the end of that mile, and turn on what I thought was the street that's mile 11. Well, as it turns out, I wasn't fully paying attention to which I street I turned onto, as I ended up turning a block sooner....whoops.  I was kinda wondering why I wasn't seeing as familiar territory for this mile, so I looked at a street sign as I was running by, and sure enough, I turned a block too soon.  Oh well....no big deal, I'll still end up where I will need to be...will just have to run the extra block to get back on track.

Mile 12....at this point, I'm starting to think, "Okay. Hit 13, then it's a 5 miler, then two more to grow on. You're almost half way there," However, knowing that I desperately was going to need water, I decided to make a stop on campus to get that taken care of.  Unfortunately, the first building I went to was closed for Spring Break.  Thankfully, another building about a block or so away was open, but it took me a few minutes to find a water fountain that didn't give out warm water.  I eventually found it, got my refill, a drink for myself, walked back outside, and restarted my watch.  I ended up being a bit off the course because of this stop, but at this point, I didn't really care, and knew that the distance was more or less the same had I gone straight on the race course.

Around this time, I could really start to feel when my body needed the energy.  Running past 13 miles still isn't easy for me, so I had to keep telling myself to keep going until I hit X intersection, then I could take a break, or whatever.  What is a bit nicer about this area is that there is more people around, so I don't feel as deserted, compared to mile 10. However, I knew that once I hit mile 15, I had a bigger challenge ahead of me to hit mile 16, which, at that particular point, was my longest distance I have ever ran.

Mile 15....like mile 10 feels very long, and since I have ran down this road so many times during training, I found it very boring.  Plus, I could feel the energy in my legs starting to drain, as I needed to refuel some.  However, I stuck with my plan on taking part of a GU (about 1/2 a package) every two miles, with hydration in between.  However, around this point was when I was also thinking, "Hey. Just a few more miles, and I'll be at 20. Once I get to 16, it will just be 2 to 18, then 2 more to 20. Right now, this SUCKS, but it's doable."  I think that's what kept me focused to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Mile 16....holy cow, that incline sucked, and I nearly turned on the wrong street again, but thankfully, caught myself in time, and just continued down the block. At this point, I'm also eternally thankful for streets where I can wait a few moments to cross because my fuel hasn't quite hit me yet, and legs are feeling it. I also learned a lesson with this mile...at this point, my feet are swelling quite a bit, so I may need to stop and loosen up my shoes some.  My toes felt fine, as I have the shoes laced to allow for extra room at the toe box, but the rest of my foot needed some extra room, so I may need to allow for that if I need it.

Mile 17...This mile actually went pretty well! I had a power cong come on, my fuel hit me just enough to have me run just a bit faster for about 1/2 mile. By this point, I know that 20 miles is definitely doable, which puts a little pep into my pace.

Mile 18.....this mile was hard as it's what I was suppose to go initially in my training plan.  This was my newest distance.  By this point my legs were getting really tired, even with taking half a GU gel at 16. I felt like I was back to runnig a pace that equals to a tortise trudging through mud.  However, I then perked up when I realized I was close to mile 19! I then started telling myself, "Just make it to 19, then it's ONE.MORE.MILE! You got this! You're already at 18.60 something...that's STILL a new distance for you. Come on! Keep going forward! You can take a break at the mile 19 intersection...take the very last of the GU packet, hydrate some, stretch, and then keep moving forward. 20 miles is TOTALLY doable!"

Mile 19....omg....ONE.MORE.MILE.  I was totally pep talking myself outloud through here..."You got this! LAST MILE. Come on! You're a bad@$$ for doing this.  Think about your buddy. You two are in this together.  Let's do it!"  At this point, I am tired, but have a bit more energy in my legs, because I KNOW I will hit that   20 mile mark.  Then, just at the right time, a power song that I have for my buddy and I on my ipod happens to come on (my music was on random to help me from getting bored music wise during the run).  I crank up the music some, and look at my watch....19.6 miles....I can totally make 20 miles before the song ends.  When the chorus comes on, I kick up the pace, and then see my watch turn to 19.75...omg...I'm totally doing this.  I keep jamming out to the song...watch turns to 19.90.....just one tenth of a mile to go.....still jam to the song.....then suddenly, my watch buzzes for me the last time. 20 MILES!!!! I DID IT!!!  I totally cheered outloud for what I just did!  Then....I start crying some.  I couldn't help it. I just could not believe it. I had just ran 20 miles for the first time ever, and I actually felt like I probably could have ran one more after that. This means that I will be ready for my first marathon on April 22!!!!

Looking back, I remember being so scared of these upper miles. However, I am SO PROUD that I am now on the downhill slide before this race. Am I still scared of those last 6 miles? Not nearly as much now, knowing that I just hit the 20 today.  I think that as long as I keep doing what I have been doing, especially with this last long run, I should be good to go with tackling those last 6. I may have to mentally break them up, like what I did with these last few miles today. We'll see what happens on race day itself.  Also, let's hope that we have good weather!  Today was also windy at times, so I was also battling some head wind throughout the run (do I get extra bad@$$ points for that), and that kills everyone's pace as you have to run with extra effort then.

As for after this run, I did get a few mental reminders about what I will need to do once I finish the race.  First of all, I will need to hydrate.  I found that my body sometimes craves just pure water during a run, so not only will I try to take some actual water throughout the aide stations, I will totally need water afterwards.  Second, stretch.....gentle stretching iis a must after this long distance race. I will definitely need to focus on my hamstrings and quad, and even my back.  However, I will also have to be very forgiving of myself as I usually have very good groin and hamstring flexibility (as in I can do straddle splits, and have my head touch the floor with knees out the side on a butterfly stretch).  My body will have just gotten done with a marathon, so it will need some time to regain it's full flexibility.  If possible, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a short massage done on the field to start working out the kinks.  Thirdly, keep walking as much as possible...at least until I get home.  The movement will help with bloodflow, and hopefully offset additional tiredness until I get home. Last of all, warmth.  Once my body gets done with running, esepcially in cooler weather, it gets cold VERY fast.  If we're expecting a cool weather marathon (say 50s or below), I will definitely need to make sure that I have warmer clothes in my bag to change into once I grab it.  Also, having a small towel in my bag may not be a bad idea in case I get wet from either sweat or rain.

Also, one last thing. If someone runs 20 miles and their hair still looks nice afterwards...they're not doing it right. :)  Happy Running!



No comments:

Post a Comment