Saturday, April 8, 2017

Sickness during taper week?

I'm now in the downhill slide before the full marathon, I figured that these last few weeks would be easy.  Well, what I haven't been prepared for is getting sick.  I haven't ran since Tuesday (fun run with the running club, and did 5 pretty easy miles).  I haven't been able to run since I've come down with something that feels like a very mild cold.  It's not strong enough to really make me feel like that I have to stay at home and miss work, but it's just enough for me to feel a bit under the weather. At first, I thought it was mostly allergies, as I do tend to get nasal congestion and a post-nasal drip (which I thought may have caused the sore throat I had), and it does tend to dip a bit into my chest.  However, after a day or so, it usually clears up.  I'm now day 3, and still don't feel back to normal. I don't think I have a fever per se, but have felt a bit warmer than usual, and I slept A LOT yesterday (as in crashing out around 5 p.m. and waking up at 6:30 a.m.).  

So that being said, is getting sick(ish) during taper time really common?  I have heard that it's a possibility as sometimes, training can basically supress one's immune system, making one more likely to get sick once one's body is more rested.  For me, I know that anything is pretty much possible as I also have been working with students who have been sick, and sometimes, allergies can make me feel a bit sick too (although my allergies are mostly nasal, and are usually easily remedied).  
That being  said, is there anything different that I should do, beyond the normal stuff that one does when treating a cold (rest, fluids, hydrate, some OTC meds if needed, etc)?  In the past few years, I generally don't get nearly as sick as I use to, but I still want to have some time to get in a few short runs, plus maybe one mid-distance run before the actual marathon, so that my body still remembers what it will need to do on race day.  

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment